FAQ > Sedation
What is Oral Medicine?It is a specialty of dentistry concerned with the oral health of patients with chronic, recurrent and medically related disorders of the oro-facial region, and with their diagnosis and management there off." Oral medicine also acts as a focal point for specialist interdisciplinary care of patients with symptoms arising from the mouth but not related directly to teeth, where symptoms and signs can represent oral manifestations of more widespread disease. Within the specialty of Oral Medicine oral lesions/conditions are primarily managed without the need for surgery.
Why choose an Oral Medicine specialist?Oral medicine specialists treat a wide variety of conditions of the face and oral cavity. Patients are often referred by practitioners in fields such as general & specialist dentistry, internal medicine, pediatrics, dermatology, ENT, neurology, rheumatology, ophthalmology, oncology, and radiation oncology.
Conditions managed by an Oral medicine specialist may include the following:
- lichen planus, lupus erythematosus, hypersensitivity reactions and lichenoid reactions
- erythema multiforme
- blistering conditions – pemphigoid and pemphigus
- xerostomia including Sjögren's Syndrome
- oral ulceration, idiopathic or related to systemic disease
- diseases that involve the mouth and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract, such as Crohn's, coeliac disease and nutritional deficiency states
- orofacial granulomatosis
- infectious diseases, viral and fungal infections
- oral manifestations of HIV
- white and red patches in the mouth where there is either oral dysplasia or cancer
- non-dental facial pain
- burning mouth syndrome
- trigeminal neuralgia, idiopathic facial pain
- adverse side effects of drugs and other materials on the mouth.
Mouth Cancer | Oral Cancer
Sjogren's Syndrome On-Line Community
Skin and Oral Disease
International Lichen Planus Support Group
Trigeminal Neuralgia Association USA
How can I make an appointment?
How much will treatment cost?
What is a Periodontist?
How can I tell if I have gingivitis or periodontitis (gum disease)?
- Dental Implants
What is a dental implant?
Who would be a good candidate for dental implants?
- Bad Breath
What should I do if I have bad breath?
What may cause bad breath?
What is oral conscious sedation?
What is IV sedation?
- Laser Periodontal Therapy
Will Laser Periodontal Therapy be painful?
Is it safe to put a laser in my mouth?
- Oral Medicine
What is Oral Medicine?
Why choose an Oral Medicine specialist?
- Plaque Control
What is plaque?
What are some tips for daily oral care?